Monday 23 November 2009

Walthamstow Without Umbrella, Men Without Hats


Walthamstow High Street. Much rain. Much soggy cardboard and sludge running in inky black rivulets down towards St James Street station. I needed to buy some records to re-point this bleak outlook. Oxfam sits at the very end of the pedestrianized market street, and I nearly always find a couple of records to warrant me wandering down this far into deepest, darkest, wettest East London.

Today I was rewarded with a satisfyingly seam- busting plastic bagful of vinyl beauties.

The one I'm listening to at the moment is the debut album "Rhythm of Youth" by Canadian band "Men Without Hats." I paid £1.99 for it. It has a great cover. It is in mint condition. I have never heard of them.



I retreat to my listening cave.

Lots of synths. I quite like it.

The vocals, (Ivan Doroschucks' I presume) remind me a little of Tim Finn's singing efforts for Split Enz. Occasionally wonderfully camp as on track 3 "Antarctica," and sometimes a bit 'Talking Heads-esque' as on the album's single and UK top ten "The Safety Dance."

Some of this stuff would go down a storm, loud and proud in some 'tight jeans' de rigueur Hoxton nite club.

The last cut from side 1 " I Got The Message" has just kicked off, and its really great. Almost an ELO feel to the chorus, a good tune and I dig the rhythm of the vocals on the chorus. Hmmm, my Monday afternoon mood has just been elevated. Will definitely listen to that one again

Onto side 2...

nice interplay between synths and guitars... some of the vocal lines on "Ideas For Walls" have a curious cod punk, folky sea shanty effect that I wouldn't want to hear too often.

"Things In My Life" is cooler again, more of a song.

Love the intro to "Cocoricci (le tango des voleurs)" sophisticated, and a sweeping soundscape, with posh hotel tinkling piano.

"The Great Ones Remember (Reprise)" sounds a bit like closing credits for a kids cartoon to me, and in my skewed sonic Universe, that really isn't necessarily a bad thing. A nice bubbly end to a cool listening experience. There are 2 or 3 tracks on here that I really enjoyed. Not bad for 2 quid eh? Will happily snap up more of this band if I spy any on my collecting safaris.

Details:

Artist: Men Without Hats
Album: Rhythm of Youth
Label: Backbeat Records BSR-5436
Year: 1983







No comments:

Post a Comment