Monday 23 November 2009

Signed Beach Boys Rarity


Up until its closure for major refurbishment, I was the resident pianist/singer at The Savoy Hotel for 4 and a half years. In that time I met lots of heroes and made some priceless (to me anyway) additions to my music collection.

As a Beach Boys fanatic, I would have to put meeting one-time Beach Boy Blondie Chaplin, as a highlight. He was staying at the hotel with the Rolling Stones entourage, as he was playing guitar and singing harmony with the band (late 2007?) and since I knew he'd more than likely be popping into the American Bar (where I played) at some point during his stay, I sneakily kept a quite rare Beach Boys picture sleeve single (that featured Blondie on the cover) in my bag, ready to produce it for signing at an opportune moment. Actually the record is a beauty, and quite unusual, in that it features a unique Beach Boys lineup on the cover photo; (l to r) Blondie Chaplin, Al Jardine, Mike Love, Daryl Dragon, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson and Ricky Fataar.

I'm really not a pushy person, and the whole planned enterprise had me feeling quite uncomfortable to tell you the truth, but, record collecting does strange things to a person's character.

Anyway, the night in question arrived, and sure enough, Blondie and various other Rolling Stone band team members were cooling off at the bar.

My plan quickly fell into place.

Firstly, I played and sang my own hastily improvised version of "Hold On Dear Brother" which caught his attention, in fact he turned to the barman and said

"Do you know who wrote this tune? I did, man!"

As my set came to an end I retrieved the record from my bag, and nervously approached him.

He was charming, and more than happy to sign the cover (right above his picture) and commented that he'd never seen this particular record before. I blurted out what a fan I was of his contributions to the Beach Boys, and he in turn complimented me on my music! A most satisfactory exchange.

I went home on a high, and the signed record, pictured at the top of this page, is one of my most treasured.

Details:

Artist: Beach Boys
Single: Marcella/Hold On Dear Brother (pic sleeve)
Label: Reprise 14183
Year: 1972

No comments:

Post a Comment